If you’ve been thinking about laser vision correction, you may have a lot of questions about this state-of-the-art technology that is constantly evolving. Here are seven of the most common FAQs about LASIK that you may not know to ask.
- Am I at the optimal age and stage in my life to have LASIK? You will want to wait until you are an adult, usually in your mid-20s, before considering LASIK surgery. You’ll also want to wait to have surgery if you are pregnant, breastfeeding or going through menopause as your eyes and visual acuity fluctuate.
- Are my eyes stable for the last 1-2 years? Your doctor can confirm whether you are a good candidate by looking at your contact lens or glasses prescription and results from recent exams.
- Can my refractive error be too much? LASIK is FDA-approved to treat certain degrees of farsightedness, nearsightedness and astigmatism. If your refractive error is too severe, laser vision correction may not be for you.
- What results can I expect? It’s important to have a healthy outlook and realistic expectations for the outcomes of your laser vision correction. Your doctor can walk through any concerns you may have. It’s important to ask about what the best and worst case scenarios may be for your outcomes.
- Do I have any eye conditions or health conditions that may postpone having LASIK done at this time or rule it out completely? Your doctor will go through all of your health history and current conditions and concerns, so it’s important that you share all the details to make sure you are a good candidate for laser vision correction.
- What does recovery look like and what adjustments will I need to make for a successful recovery? Your doctor should tell you what to expect and how to prepare for recovery at home and when you can return to work and other activities.
- What does LASIK cost? Your doctor should share with you all of the costs involved in laser vision correction, potential retreatment and any other appointments that may be necessary.
To schedule your consultation for LASIK, call 808.955.3937 today.