Botox is a household name as the worldwide leader in non-surgical wrinkle treatment. You may have been thinking about getting Botox injections to treat your lines and wrinkles, but how much do you know about this popular treatment?
Read on for what Botox can and can’t do and why you should consider it.
- Botox can treat dynamic lines and wrinkles, which are wrinkles that form over a contracting muscle in your face when you smile, frown or squint or make other expressions. It blocks messages sent by the nerves in the muscle to the brain to prevent the muscle from contracting.
- Botox smooths out crow’s feet, forehead lines, frown lines, lip lines and bunny lines. It can be used to diminish neck bands and even correct a gummy smile.
- Botox can’t treat static wrinkles, which are wrinkles that are always present and are caused by sun damage, genetics, smoking and other lifestyle choices. Prolonged dynamic wrinkles can become static wrinkles. Dermal fillers are a good choice to smooth out static wrinkles.
- Unlike dermal fillers, which deliver instant results, the results from Botox will take 1-3 days to fully appear. That’s because it takes time for the injection to work on blocking the muscle contraction and erase the wrinkles.
- Even though it’s made from botulinum toxin type A, which is a purified substance that’s derived from bacteria and may sound scary, it is the quickest and safest way to remove wrinkles.
- If you are in good health and have a healthy frame of mind with realistic expectations for the outcome from Botox injections, then you would be a good candidate for this treatment.
- Botox treatment only takes about 15 minutes, and most people return to their jobs or other activities after their appointment.
- Botox is not a permanent solution to wrinkle reduction. Botox will keep your lines and wrinkles at bay for 3-4 months. The muscles will start contracting again. You will want to set up follow-up sessions to maintain results.
If you’re ready to learn more about whether Botox is right for you, call 808.955.3937 for an appointment with Dr. Maehara.